10 Reasons to add mulch & bark to your garden
We love mulch, it acts as a blanket providing protection to our soil. Mulch is a great product that does so much for your soil and garden. We have plenty of choices of bark & mulch, from eucalyptus and mushroom mulch to pine bark mulch, manure and organic compost. Here are a couple of reasons we add it to our gardens, and think you should too.
- Mulch is excellent at keeping the moisture in and reducing the amount of time you need to spend watering.
- Mulch and bark products insulate the soil, protecting it from sudden temperature changes, keeping worms and soil microbes happy.
- It prevents new weeds by keeping them from reaching germination.
- It adds nutrients to the soil.
- Protects plants from frost damage by acting as soil protection.
- Provides a clean surface for your produce such as fruit, veggies and nuts to fall when ripe.
- Protects and provides supports around young plants from wind.
- Protects plants from getting splattered with soil during rain and watering.
- Mulch prevents erosion and soil compaction, particularly from foot traffic on pathways, it's perfect for around the outside of your vegie patch.
- It makes your garden look neat and tidy.